The Blaauwbrug (Blue Bridge) is thought to have got its name from the colour of the original wooden bridge which crossed the Amstel river to link the medieval city to the new suburbs over 400 years ago. Its been rebuilt and altered many times over the centuries - this one dates from 1883 when the World Exhibition took place in Amsterdam. The city fathers decided the current wooden structure, a swing bridge like the Magere Brug further downstream, was not suitable for the tens of thousands of expected visitors and horse drawn trams.
In the entrance to the underground car park at the Stopera hangs the wall plaque from the earlier wooden bridge. The plaque was originally on a house on Zwanenburgerstraat 28, demolished when the Stopera was built.