Although it became known as the Herengracht (gentlemans canal) of the Jordaan, the Bloemgracht was not always as quiet and flower filled as it is today. When the rich merchants began moving into their mansions on the canal ring, they were concerned to have the best possible environment. As a result industry which made a lot of noise or noxious fumes was removed to other parts of the city. Tanners were moved to the area around the Looiersgracht and Elandsgracht and in 1625 paint factories were moved to the Bloemgracht, where they were allowed to pollute the canal water at will. The street is still home to one verfmaker (paint maker) today.
The three fine houses at Bloemgracht 87 to 91 date from 1642 and are built in the traditional "burger" style of the period with stepped gables and strong use of glass. The three wall plaques represent the townsman, the countryman and the seaman -- the former house names until numbering was introduced in the 19th century.